For the progress of humanity, work alone is not adequate, but the work should be associated with love, compassion, right conduct, truthfulness and sympathy.
- Sri Sathya Sai Baba
Oceanside Hospice Society staff and volunteers provide community based hospice supports in a team setting with healthcare professionals. We can help you navigate the system at this difficult time.
The Hospice Palliative Care Philosophy
- Focuses on comfort rather than cure of an illness.
- Eases symptoms and suffering for those living with a life-limiting illness.
- Offers compassion, comfort and dignity.
- Aims to give dying people and their families the best quality of life.
- Does not hasten or delay death.
- Recognizes death as a natural part of life.
- Focuses on comfort rather than cure.
- Improves quality of life by offering comfort and dignity.
- Offers comfort, emotional and spiritual supports to the person and family.
- Allows people to continue receiving treatments that slow the progress of the disease and reduces uncomfortable or distressing symptoms.
Hospice / Palliative Team
Your hospice palliative care team includes:
- you and your family
- your physician
- hospice staff and volunteers
- social workers and counsellors
- spiritual care consultant
- personal care workers and others as needed.
You and your family are important members of this care team. There will be choices to make about future health decisions such as where you want to spend your final days and what treatments and comfort measures you wish to have or not have.
Few of us are prepared to face a life-threatening illness or the loss of a loved one. Hospice provides important support services that help others find comfort, meaning, dignity, and hope when faced with the difficult journey of living with dying and coping with loss.
With the support of Volunteers we offer a variety of support programs, from equipment loan delivery to providing respite for exhausted caregivers.
Healthcare professionals, community agencies, family and friends may make referrals to our services; however, the person being referred must give their consent or contact us personally.
We are located in Qualicum Beach at 210 West Crescent in the lovely house known as “Valhalla.” It is not a residential Hospice facility but is the warm and comfortable home to our office and support programs.
Our Non Profit Society number is: S-26406
Our CRA Charitable number is: BN 13960 4458 RR0001
Myth: Hospice is only for people with cancer.
Fact: Hospice care is for all patients facing a terminal illness.
Myth: Accepting hospice services means giving up, so you should put it off until the last moment
Fact: Hospice is all about living life to the fullest. We never give up hope!
Myth: Hospice care will be a financial drain on the family.
Fact: Oceanside Hospice Society is a non profit charity and as such offers services free of charge and based upon ability to pay.
Myth: When someone I love dies, I should be over my grief within 3 months to a year
Fact: Everyone’s loss is different and personal. OHS staff and volunteers will walk beside you as you move toward grief through continued mourning.
Myth: To volunteer at hospice I need to be experienced working with the terminally ill.
Fact: Oceanside Hospice Society can utilize many skill sets and interests in volunteer capacities for event planning, fund development, and caregiver supports.