Caring for Yourself While Grieving
- Be very gentle with yourself.
- Accept the fact that you have an emotional wound, that it is disabling, and that it will take awhile before you are completely well.
- Treat yourself with the same care and affection that you would offer a good friend in a similar situation.
- Don’t take on many new responsibilities.
- Avoid situations in which you might overreact.
- Accept help and support when offered, but remember that care and compassion begin at home.
- Above all, don’t blame yourself for any “mistakes” (real or imagined) you may have made that brought you to this situation of loss.
- Let the healing process run its course – a time of convalescence is very important.
- Just follow your daily routine—and let yourself heal.